Re: [RC] Rain Gear - Barbara McCrary

I have also ridden in Stearns raingear that I bought from Sportack many years ago.  There are pullover pants and a jacket with hood.  They are very lightweight and seem to do the job nicely.  I also ride in a polypropylene turtleneck pullover that keeps me warm (even if it gets damp...just like the glove liners) plus a lightweight polarfleece vest.  I ever wear polypro socks.  It's that polypro that does the job.  Amazing stuff.  I haven't bought polarfleece tights yet, but they sound good.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:17 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] Rain Gear

Depends on how cold it is. If it?s just rain, I use a normal lightweight raincoat like everyone has here west of the Cascades, then an appropriate number of layers under it to stay warm. I don?t worry about my legs ? if it?s cold, I use polar fleece tights. I use ordinary SSG gloves, which do get wet, but if there?s not direct contact with the air, it seems to work well enough. I ought to get some sort of cover for my helmet.

These people make pretty good rain coats ?

http://www.pacifictrail.com/p_intro.htm

If it?s really chilly, then one of these Aussie slickers is good ? they come in different weights and do well at keeping the runoff from getting into the saddle and protect the upper legs, but if you?re moving, they get warm in a hurry.