RE: [RC] Dog training and horses - Ginger Bill

I always take my dogs when I ride. What I do is take a young dog with the old dog, therefore, I never have to start from scratch with a pup anymore. However when I did I would take the pup out for long walks until I new for certain that the pup would listen to demands. This only took approximately five trips out as I deal with cow dogs and they are extremely intelligent and fast learning. Then I load the horse up in the trailer and head out to a ride site. Yes, a pup will get under foot once in awhile so you have to pay attention so your horse doesn't step on him/her. Most all of my attention is on that pup and working with it as if I were still walking on the ground versus riding. In a relatively short period of time all will be going well for you. I never ride with other people initially because I want that pup to just listen to me and not be confused. It doesn't take long and you can have thirty riders with you and that pup will never leave you even if you switch horses. I hope this helps as there's nothing like riding your horse with your faithful dog at you side. Ginger

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:26:12 -0800
From: slyngar@xxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Dog training and horses

Hi Everyone,

We rescued a beautiful dog this year, she is part Rottweiler and part Border Collie. She is about eight months and we have introduced her to the horses. I really want to take her out on the trail with me. Does anyone have training techniques that they use with their dog and horses together. IE getting them to heel on one side of the horse or the other, keeping them within a certain distance as you ride. We've ridden with my sisters dogs and they naturally heel around us as we ride, but sometimes they do get underfoot.

Sherri