[RC] saddle for level backed horse?? - Marlene Moss

Hi,

One my boarders just got a new horse.  She is really nice and quite happy to be exchanging a show career for endurance. She did not appreciate being forced into frame and I’m pretty sure I understand why.

When standing relaxed, she has a basically normal curvature to her back and I’m guessing most people have fit her saddles to that shape (or ignored it all together).  However, this horse can do the biggest belly lift I’ve ever seen and she clearly prefers to lift her back to extremely level when she moves. I did an experiment and put a saddle similar to what she’d been ridden in and longed her, watching her head carriage and back and general demeanor.  Then I put her in an adjustable saddle which gave her plenty of room to round up and watched her again.  Huge difference, way more willing to put her head down and lift her back and ears more forward with the more level setup.

So, what saddles have people found to work for a level backed horse?  I’ve got one of my own, and she’s going fine in a Free’n’Easy and I know that will work with this mare and I have one to loan her, but not long term.  So we’re keeping our eyes out for a wide, 17” FnE Endurance Special or Trekker (anyone have one for sale???) but also looking for additional options.  A Specialized would be of interest since the rider has more of a western background – can they be set up totally level?  I haven’t seen one up close for a while.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.LosPinos-CO.com - Boarding, Sales and More