Re: [RC] Electrolytes - Truman Prevatt

What I find absolutely amazing is most of the work on electrolytes has been done before - but somehow we don't know it. Gayle Ecker (Guelph Equine Research Center) did extensive work on electrolytes in the early 90's. She told me she had a database of over 6000 horses. Many of what the vets - at least in the East are advising is based on the findings in Gayle's studies.

The first presentation I heard on electrolytes was given by Gayle at the 1994 AERC convention. The amazing thing I find is unlike the physical sciences - the current work in electrolytes completely ignores the work of the past. They are most likely not plowing new ground, but reinventing the wheel. Reinvention of the wheel is a piss poor use of limited research funds.

From a scientific point of view, there are real issues with some of the work I see today on the subject. They are not establishing a a hypothesis and designing experiments to test the hypothesis. The are collecting data and throwing out numbers. That is not how science progresses. There has always been an issue with we physical scientist in the way the medical scientist conduct research. I've helped send more than one graduate student in the life sciences back for another year in grad school based on a dissertation they could not adequately defend.

Quite frankly I was not very impressed with the last few studies on electrolytes I've seen posted on ridecamp.

However, Gayle's were top notch. The current researches would do well to learn what has gone before.

Truman

Bruce Weary wrote:
Hi Heidi--
I never think you're pickin' on me. We simply agree to disagree somtimes. Like mature, educated, adults are suppose to. (sticking my tongue out) :>
I don't think that I am causing cellular dehydration with a dose of electrolytes. There are grave clinical consequences to that. And I don't think that she drinks much more heavily because she is trying to get rid of the electrolytes I have given her. She is drinking more heavily *while she is working and sweating,* and I think the elytes help, among other things, to stimulate thirst.
Many vets have taken the position that the rehydration game is basically one of always playing catch-up with the horse being less hydrated at the end of a ride than the beginning, no matter how well he drinks througout the ride. I would prefer she be "less behinder" due to increased fluid intake. If she needed to get rid of the electrolytes, I would think she would urinate more heavily and frequently, which she does not do. She will also, from what I have read, lose more elytes during the ride that I am putting back in with a few ounces of supplememtation. So, if my information and logic are correct, what is wrong with putting back in as much water and electrolytes as I can sensibly, knowing I will never even restore the amounts she had on board before the ride?
I agree that each horse has different needs, but after campaining more than 20 horses of Arab and non-Arab descent, my anecdotal experience has shown me that the basic dosing plan I laid out works very well, at all different speeds, carrying heavy weight, in mostly desert rides.
See the following article by Mike Foss DVM.
I don't have all the answers Heidi. But please don't tell my wife that. I just about have her convinced. :> Bruce
http://www.endurance.net/Stories/ShowStory.asp?Counter=226

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil