[RC] Electrolytes - Bruce Weary

Hi Heidi--
I never think you're pickin' on me. We simply agree to disagree somtimes. Like mature, educated, adults are suppose to. (sticking my tongue out) :>
I don't think that I am causing cellular dehydration with a dose of electrolytes. There are grave clinical consequences to that. And I don't think that she drinks much more heavily because she is trying to get rid of the electrolytes I have given her. She is drinking more heavily *while she is working and sweating,* and I think the elytes help, among other things, to stimulate thirst.
Many vets have taken the position that the rehydration game is basically one of always playing catch-up with the horse being less hydrated at the end of a ride than the beginning, no matter how well he drinks througout the ride. I would prefer she be "less behinder" due to increased fluid intake. If she needed to get rid of the electrolytes, I would think she would urinate more heavily and frequently, which she does not do. She will also, from what I have read, lose more elytes during the ride that I am putting back in with a few ounces of supplememtation. So, if my information and logic are correct, what is wrong with putting back in as much water and electrolytes as I can sensibly, knowing I will never even restore the amounts she had on board before the ride?
I agree that each horse has different needs, but after campaining more than 20 horses of Arab and non-Arab descent, my anecdotal experience has shown me that the basic dosing plan I laid out works very well, at all different speeds, carrying heavy weight, in mostly desert rides.
See the following article by Mike Foss DVM.
I don't have all the answers Heidi. But please don't tell my wife that. I just about have her convinced. :> Bruce
http://www.endurance.net/Stories/ShowStory.asp?Counter=226