Cc: "RIDECAMP" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:17 AM
Subject: [RC] de- "mudding" horses

Sorry if this has been discussed recently. I know folks talked about different grooming vacuums for their horses and it sounded like a plain old shop vac was what folks used.
Are there any other recommendations for getting all this dried mud off of the horses during these cooler winter months? I can curry/brush for half an hour at least, they still look filthy and within 10 minutes they've rolled again anyway. I can't even imagine getting a shop vac next to them. Do they really not mind the noise? I did read an article about just washing with horse shampoo and water a small area and then drying it (towels and blow dryer) and then moving to a different area, does anyone do that? Obviously you'd go through a lot of towels that way!!

Maybe a better question is this, what is the worst that could happen if I rode after only doing a basic curry/brush job on the areas where the saddle goes? With the long hair they would get sweaty so it would be sweaty and I guess slightly muddy by the time we finished. If I then brush that off could they still get any kind of nasty skin condition or could the grit and grime actually hurt the skin?

Kathy SE

Barbara McCrary wrote:
I have used Show Sheen successfully for years. I spray it on the knots and tangles, saturate, wait a few minutes, then carefully untangle with a hoof pick. There is another product I've used lately, Vitreol, or a name something like it. It also works well. I have enormous patience for doing jobs like untangling horses' knotted manes, so I just plow my way through it. If left to my husband, he would just cut off the mane. No, no, no!
Right now, our two greys are mudballs with overgrown bridle paths and knotted manes and tails. No use even trying to do anything yet...not until it stops raining and dries up. Jess was enjoying this morning's brief sun by lying flat on his side in the driest part of the mud. Yuck!
Barbara