[RC] biting and attacking are two different things - Sheila_Larsen

I tried really hard not not get wrapped up on this issue but while I
normally think Truman is right on I and I admit that if one really analyzes
what he says he may still be right on.  However, I do believe that a
reasonable person would construe the comment that "my horse bites" to mean
that it bites other horses and please keep your horse  a reasonable
distanct away.  Saying "my horse bites" is not the same as "my horse will
bite you,  a person, if you  stand within lunging distance."    With that
logic we could all say "my horse bites" because after all horses bite
carrots, grass, apples.  The reason that this person got attacked was that
she reasonably construed (imo) that the biting horse would bite the other
horse, not her.  A horse biting a person that is a reasonable distance away
and not interacting with the horse  is not a common occurence.    In
addition, because of the harm that could be inflicted to a person by this
horse I believe it is the responsibility of the handler to clearly state
exactly what that horse is capable of doing.  I realize that all horses
capable of injuring another person but this behavior is well out of the
norm of what one would reasonably expect.  I am all for taking
responsibility for one's actions and  I believe that the bitee in this case
was doing that given the information she was given.

I was once walking past a horse in a stall/paddock and the horse lunged at
me.  I swung my arms in self defense and the horse hits its head against a
pole and knocked himself a little silly.  The owner got mad at me because I
"hurt" her horse.  Didn't seem to realize that the behavior was
unacceptable and I had a right to defend myself.

I'd say we all need to get out and ride now, but it's raining.   mmm It is
the end of January so isn't that the time we are scheduled for the topic -
What kind of mane and tail detangler do you use.   <g>

In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have.  Eleven-hundred pounds of raw
muscle,
power, grace, and sweat between your legs
- it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.  ~Author Unknown