Re: [RC] [RC] Sorough Cup photos location - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

I would have to concur with Karen's assessment of these photographs.  I see exactly what I would expect to see with horses that are conditon in deep sand at high speeds.  And if you look at old pictures of 'desert bred' arabians you will see much longer pasterns than the ones you see on these horses.  Those suspensories were for speed, work, and balance!  Our Tio Diego had longer pasterns than most modern day arabians.  He was a cadiallac ride!  You never felt him trip or struggle to regain his balance.  The suspensories took the brunt of the work and Tio Diego was able to maintain his speed.  Which is why Charles and Lorraine Lee's breeding program was so successful for racing stock and now endurance stock.  Give me one of those guys any day of the week!  :)

I was amazed with the pace the riders continued down the course while hydrating their horses.  Can't say that would be my choice but then I am so far out of their league I don't have the right to comment.  LOL

D'Arcy