Re: [RC] Heeding warning - SandyDSA

I might have missed something here but I have not seen where anyone addressed how this would have been treated if it were a stallion. I am interested in that.

In any case, this horse and rider combo have no business in public, and if she HAD an attorney, I can guarantee she would be cautioned against taking this horse out. If it is on her property, one can STILL sue - shouldn't but could - but in public no matter what may have come out of her trap, she had an obligation NOT to put anyone in harm's way. I used to teach a deaf girl - she competed over fences for hears. We communicated with sign. What if this rider had been hard of hearing, deaf, or even distracted by a junior rider with her? I understand that some of you think a verbal, and in my opinion, minimal caution was enough, but in the eyes of the law it isn't; and in the eyes of a victim, it isn't. In the eyes of a mom who used to take her junior child along it most CERTAINLY isn't. As a stallion owner, it still isn't. I may caution people till I am stinking blue in the face, but because he is a boy - sweet and well mannered, but  a boy nonetheless - I choose to either give everyone their space as needed, or in some cases where I know there will not be much space, I stay home or take my Jackhammer to the ride. Any of you who know Magic know what a HUGE sacrifice THAT is! The analogy of the intoxicated driver is a good one. A rider SHOULD warn others, but in the case of a habitual biter or kicker, the owner would be wise to choose another mount if the horse cannot be retrained. It is just incomprehensibly self-centered and legally suicidal.

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com