From: kathy.mayeda@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: bwalker2@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Biting Horse at Ride
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:22:27 +0000

My mare - when she was about 7 y.o. - bit me while I was walking her along with a bucket of grain and my gelding Beau.  I dropped the bucket, dropped Beau's lead line and started kicking her in the belly and screamed at her.  She just looked at me, didn't flinch, let me kick her without even caring, which made me madder than I already was.  Don't have the same tools as I have now to deal with it!
Her and I alway fought a lot and finally I was told that I probably should just re-home her just because we were not getting along, no reflection on either of us as horse and owner.  So I sent her to my ex to be a broodmare. I then started to work on Drako so I could bring him back to the Bay Area with me, so I would be up there in Loomis on the weekends.  She would always hang her head over the fence and look at me real sad.
When she returned to me, she became everyone's darling and everyone who rode her wanted to buy her off of me.  She would see my truck coming and she would gallop up to the fence to greet me.
I think a good pattern disruption is good for horse and owner when it comes to communication issues.  Someone else could deal with disciplining the horse, and they could ride some other horse without such issues.  Then coming back together later can be a wonderful thing.  I sent Drako from mild wintered San Jose to Montana in the middle of the winter - which was a good thing for him because I was ready to lose it with him.
K.