Re: [RC] Biting Horse at Ride - Beth Walker

First - I agree that really getting after a horse has to be done only when the horse's reactions are not going to make a bad situation worse. ?I also agree that you need to know the horse, to be able to judge what its reaction to discipline is likely to be.

Sometimes it is only necessary to make the horse **think** you are going to kill it. ?We had a young TB mare that nipped. ?However, she only nipped at me, not my husband. ?It was very definitely a dominance issue. ?One day, she nipped while we were working on the corral, and I had a rope handy. She picked a bad spot, as she was in the corner, and further boxed in by a tree. ?I hit her hard - twice - on the neck with the rope, backing her into the corner. ?HOWEVER, I then shifted my aim to the tree right next to her head, and totally beat the tar out of the tree, screaming at the top of my lungs. ?It scared the heck out of her, but since she was NOT actually being hit (saved by the tree ! ), was not provoked into a defense, as I believe she would have been if I had hit her more than twice. ?She never nipped at me again.