Re: [RC] [RC] Biting Horse at Ride - Robert & Vivian

well I was not at this ride but I do know both people that were hurt by this horse and in my opinion a horse that will attack unprovoked and the owner does nothing to correct does not belong at any ride, it is negligence on the part of the owner and they should be held accountable.

What if it was a child that this horse attacked? I'm sorry folks but there is no excuse for what happened anybody that does this sport knows that vet checks and rides in general are crowded and hectick and if you cannot control your animal than you have no business being there and exposing others to what you know will eventually happen your horse will hurt someone.

-----Original Message-----
From: Genevieve
Sent: Jan 28, 2008 7:19 PM
To: Truman Prevatt
Cc: Kristen A Fisher , Ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Biting Horse at Ride

You're comparing apples to oranges here. Skiing isn't horses. You can't just pick up the ski course and put it out of the way of people where they can't get to it. All you can do is fence it off and hope they don't find a way in. But you CAN keep a dangerous horse at home.

Did you even put up a fence? Was it electric? Did it have barbed wired on it? Or was the course just roped off? Did you take every measure possible to help prevent accidents? If not, I'd say it was your fault. (BTW, I'm not accusing, I know next to nothing about the skiing incidents you've had to deal with, I'm just using this as an example)

The mare's owner could have left the horse at home until she was safe enough to have around people but instead she took her out where she knew there was going to be a bunch of people and other horses that may or may not heed her warnings.

It's YOUR animal. If you are negligent with preventative measures, YOU take responsibility.

It's difficult to tell exactly where to draw the line as far as whether or not someone took every precaution possible, but that's why we have judges. :) Still, in this situation I think it's obvious that the mare's owner could have done a much better job at prevention.

Like someone said, there's a big difference between, "Watch out, my horse bites" and, "Watch out, my horse may lunge and attack you". I would say that after hearing that a horse bites, simply keeping a fair distance away and putting yourself in between the two horses is a fair response to that warning.