[RC] SERA year end Awards and Convention - Jody Rogers-Buttram

 Hello All,

  Well, I would like to thank everyone that come down to Georgia this past weekend to attend the yearly SERA/GERA convention.  I feel like we had a wonderful time !!!  If you didn't get to make it this year, let me say that you missed out on a huge wealth of information.  We had two fantastic speakers.  Dr. Jeannie Waldron and Guy Buck, farrier, spoke on the impact/importance of proper balance and shoeing.  Dr. Jeannie's presentation was amazing showing how horses travel in slow motion with various shoes and degress of imbalance.  Then, Guy Buck came right in on how we, the average endurance rider should be able to talk to our farriers and recognize a balance hoof.  We also had Dr. Ken Marcella speak to the group about the information that SERA's newest tool in horse welfare can provide, the I-stat blood analyzer.  And to top off the day, we had the presentation of awards after our meal, and then (can it get any better?!! )  the music of the Crosstown Allstars Band and dancing !!!!!!

   I am already excited and planning for next year's convention and how to make it better.  I have ideas on how to do just that too  !!!!!  So, if you didn't get to the convention this year, you are going to want to come next year.  Don't miss the chance to get a huge advantage in this sport by learning the secrets of great competitors.

Also, I would like to thank everyone that helped in any way.  This was my first year as president, and my first convention to plan...so I am still very wet behind the ears.  I know I meant to do "thank you's" and just forgot.  Thank you to Laurie Underwood, who without her proofing abilities I might sound like a redneck. (even if I am ) She has worked very hard on helping with the planning of the convention and she has taken care of all of the monogramming on the awards, hauling them halfway across the state of Georgia (after major surgery)to see that they arrived to be monogrammed.  She has let me bounce ideas off of her all year, making sure that I remain politically correct.  And that one is hard to do !!! Thank you to Tracey Behan for doing the monogramming and then hauling the Awards to the convention site for us.   Thanks to Tamra Schoech and Susan Kasemeyer for helping me at the last minute with seeing if the place we found was going to work.  Thank you to Dr. Nelson, for telling me about the Banning Mills Lodge in the first place.  Thank you to Tom Sites for bringing Dr. Waldron safely all the way down from Virginia, and for you showing up to be an active board member.  Not to mention a fun dancer at the party  !!!!   Thank you to Dr. Otis for doing the intro for Dr. Marcella winning the Lawton Johnston award, and to Angie for making the awards such a fun experience !!!!   I'm sure there maybe others, and to them, please forgive me for not remembering.  THANK YOU everyone !!!!!!!

Jody Rogers-Buttram
President, SERA