Re: [RC] reason for horse going towards head light's? - Don Huston

Hello Jamie,
Like Ed said, that is kind of strange but here is a possible cause. In San Diego there is a beach where you can ride horses in the surf, called Border State Park. After the horse gets accustomed to being in the water and we start walking and trotting the horse will have a hard time going straight as the surf is rushing in and out sideways to our line of travel. They seem confused for awhile and follow the water in and out going in a zig-zag pattern. It gets even funnier standing still and sideways to the surf. After several passes of the small waves a new horse will get a little wobbly and stagger a bit when they start to move forward. It has something to do with learning to separate the movement of the water from the firm sand underneath that they cannot see. Some learn quicker that others but soon we can blast down the beach in the shallow rushing surf with no problems. The water is hiding the sand just like the bright car lights are maybe blinding your horse enough that he cannot see the dark roadway underneath him and that is confusing him. Maybe you could park your car on a back street with the lights on and practice riding toward it. I'm sure your horse will figure it out.
Don Huston