[RC] Time between 100 mile rides - sherman

Not being argumentative here, but it is raining out and I haven’t ridden for soooo long…

…of course we can’t be sure that things are perfect with the horse, but we can use all the info we have to make the best decision about whether we are going to do a ride, whether it’s an LD, 50 or 100. Hopefully that’s what we’re all doing, but there are often one or two horses at a ride that makes me wonder whether their owner has really made an accurate assessment and a good decision by bringing the horse there at all. I’d say that if my horse didn’t look good following the first 100, I’d surely scratch the idea of a 2nd one in 4 weeks. I don’t think I’d even do a 50 in 4 weeks if my horse didn’t look good following the 100.

What is the difference, or is there any, between taking a horse to a multi-day, doing 3-5 rides, then the following month doing it again, and then maybe again a third month. Or even riding 10 days of approx 50 miles each day? Is it less, the same or more stressful than a 100 mile ride? I know there is a big difference in 50s and 100s, but does having 12 hours off make a huge difference when you’re doing multi-days as opposed to having 3-4 weeks off between 100s?

Kathy