[RC] Time between 100 mile rides - Bruce Weary

Kathy said: "I suspect there probably are many more horses out there that could do 100s with only 4 weeks of rest in between “with proper preparation” and as long as there were absolutely no questions about the horse's health and readiness."
I tend to agree that many good horses can do 100's a month apart if paced properly, and prepared properly. I do think that as that four week time period shortens, the quality of horse and rider must go up, and the risks go up as well, for horses across the board.
Kathy's statement struck me, because I don't think there can ever be absolutely no questions about the horse's health or readiness. One common habit amongst us horsemen is to size up a horse just on how he looks, and maybe his energy level. We walk by horses at rides all the time and offer their owners a compliment: "He sure looks like he's ready!" How can we know just by looking at him? In my book, it's not what you see, it's what you don't see. After a 100 miler, the horse's gut flora have to re-establish due to the fluid shifts and increased body temperature from the work. The intestinal lining also sloughs increased protective mucus, which must be re-built. His electrolyte balance and glycogen stores need replenishing. His soft tissues must mend. There are cellular changes that occur in the cartilage cells in his joints as a result of the thousands of concussions he absorbs when trotting for 100 miles. Saddle pressure points must heal. Not to mention his mind. Ever have a daunting project put in front of you at work at a time when you were already spent? These thing all take time, and they make take more than four weeks for many horses. If this time isn't given the horse may go to the next ride at less than his best, with those bedfellows "decreased performance" and "increased risk" possibly attending.
There are certainly a wide variety of horses out there, capable of various levels of work and recovery. Joe was blessed to have had one of the best, Kahlil Khai, which may skew his opinion ever so slightly to the thinking that 100's can be commonly done by lots of horses in less than 4 weeks with relatively few side-effects. There are so many variables, that I think discretion is the better part of valor. Rather than simply reasoning whether the horse ought to be able to do it, maybe try a 100, then a 50 four weeks later, ride conservatively, and work your way up to greater distances until the horse says he's had enough.
Kim knows her horses very well, and has had success in 100's. I want to grow up to be like her. She's done very well.........for a girl. :> Dr Q