[RC] My First Horse - Kathy Mayeda

I have pictures of me with a cute red cowgirl outfit on one of the
springy mounted horses.  Of course, I got the horse gene that no one
else in my family got.

Unfortunately my first real horse, Beamer, died the other day in a
freak pasture accident.  I'm still dealing with it emotionally.  My ex
gave her to me as a 3 y.o. unbroke Arabian filly.  I re-learned to
ride on her, falling off a lot, and learning to have a good seat.  She
was first bred to Shahwan GSB who was the first purebred Arabian
stallion approved by 100 day stallion testing in Germany for ISR and
Trakehner improvement sire. I traded the filly for my then future
endurance horse Beau Joust.  She was "accidently" bred by my ex the
following year while we were going through our break up by Drako's
sire, a Bey Shah son.  The first of her babies went on to be bred to
Drako's sire.  From that union came Ildi's Nuvo.

While I was just beginning to think about doing endurance, I was
counseled to sell Beamer because we were having little spats.  I sent
her back to my ex on a broodmare lease where she had another filly by
Drako's sire.  She came back to me a totally sweet, compliant,
trailwise horse that was fun to ride for everyone.  But at this time,
Drako was taking up most of my attention because he needed serious
training.

Beau and Beamer have the same sire and have the same long stretchy
endurance trot.  I would lend out Beamer to Parelli friends and a
couple of them fell in love with the thought of doing endurance, at
least doing fast trail rides because of them.  Beamer's first LD was
Desert Gold two years ago at the age of 16.  She's done a few LD's
since then, mostly because I didn't want to miss out of the fun of
accompanying my Parelli buds on their first endurance events.  Of all
my horses she ended up being the least complicated to ride with the
least amount of training.  That's a tribute to her sweet personality -
I didn't do that much except just ride her and love her.

K.