RE: [RC] Looking for a kid safe endurance prospect - Faustina Duffy

Indeed, but what to do when you HAVE put the time and effort into such a horse?  I had a 14.3 hand, registered Appy gelding that ANYONE could ride.  Spooks at NOTHING.  Actually comfortable to ride, had already completed one 35 mile LD with flying colors.  NOT barn sour, easy to catch, lead, load, bathe...no vices-honestly.  Pretty enough mover to easily do 4 H and responsive enough to do Gymkhana.  Couldn't sell him.  No way, no how.  Finally traded him to a friend who KNOWS his qualities (she carries her year old daughter on him with no worries-baby sleeps with a smile).  At least he has a great home.  One of the few horses I know who will consistently move off of the leg all the way to a gallop (one gear at a time, mind you), no spurs or crop required, but will instantly drop to a walk, even in a group, and travel on a loose rein.

I have his full sister.  Have every reason to believe she will be as wonderful.  Will I put the time into her?  No.  She will stay here, eat grass, and be a pasture ornament-it isn't worth the headache to advertise her.  My temper won't stand the idiots who say "It's for a kid, I won't pay that kind of money."  I tell them they can pay it for a quality horse, or they can spend it on the emergency room trips, their choice.  Most people would rather pay more money for an over-hyped firebreathing monster that they can brag they "Have to buck out at the start of every trail ride" than for a gentle, mannerly horse.  Go figure.

Why do people think that good training, good temper and soundness are common, or better yet, a reason for a horse to go cheap?  But consistently, they buy a cheap horse, a cheap saddle, whatever bit is on the cheapest bridle, and turn this loose with their kid on it and expect to watch Black Beauty infuse the situation with love and safety.  Oh well...

Then, six months later, they want to buy my son's pony (assuming their child is still willing to get within 100 yards of a horse) and want me to take in The Dragon as trade ("I paid $900 for him, and spent another $750 on vet bills..." not believing he was NEVER worth $250...).  Just like the bank doesn't care that you spent $1,000 on rims for your car if you missed the payment, I am not interested in what you thought was a better buy.  Sometimes you just can't cut corners...

OK, off the soap box now...