From: Steph Teeter <stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ridecamp Ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 8:30:01 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Royal Arabian Studs of Bahrain

> >>It seems they really think highly of their mares.? It was odd that i at the end found the statement..."Shaikh Mohammed...left 26 sons."? It seems they think more highly of their mares than they do of their women and wives or did i miss something?? The mothers of their children were never mentioned.
>
> It must be the culture.
> tom sites>>

Definitely, but to be fair (or unfair!) it's a world-wide culture. Family lines are traced primarily by the male. Most women take the male's name when they wed.? If you compare the time, the culture, when the above legend/story was accounted - and compare that to a parallel time in our (western) culture I don't think there would have been that much difference.? Most cultures, most men (who generally wrote the stories), cared more about sons to carry on the family name.

Another question, is why do we now generally make such a big deal over the stallions, and so little over the mares??

Steph