Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Trailer Fire at Hahira

On Nov 18, 2008, at 8:57 AM, rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Bottom line:
I personally find the noise of cheap generators running all night an abomination. Nobody has the right to disturb 40 people's sleep just >>>>because they won't do some simple things necessary to achieve personal comfort. I do admit that some persons have health issues >>>that require them to live in a room that is 80 F. I doubt that >>>many folk bring their 90 year old grandmother to endurance rides.
Ed

Nah, they just bring a husband who wants his TV and a kid who wants his video games & air conditioning...and they want to run that ALL DAY too! I've seen people running the generator when they weren't even in the rig. :-P

When my horsie friends and I go camping we usually run the generators when we are off having breakfast at a distant picnic table (the campers and motor homes all have quiet generators, but they still sound like a vehicle idling). Even if we never run an appliance that requires AC power, all the 12V goodies (the lights, the refrigerator propane controller, the fans for the forced air heating, 12 V TVs, etc) draw down the auxillary batteries and they need a goosing from the generator to boost the charge (solar array trickle charging requires parking in the sun).

BTW -- if one is going to make suggestions -- no diesel truck engines after 9 PM: they are noisier than generators!

Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
ranch: http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/napha/HighPoint/