[RC] Clipping the endurance horse - Minnesota - Sharon Hahn

Horse lives at my house in Minnesota outside 24/7 with a run-in.  Blanketed rarely.  I don't usually ride in the winter, but in the spring (30-40 degree F weather), when she is slow to shed out I have used what I call a "gullet clip" which is less than a trace clip - take about 3-4 inch wide strip off from throat down to chest, widen it to chest width, and then clip belly as much as you can without being able to notice it without looking under the horse.  Helps with cooling the sweaty, fuzzy monster horse a lot, but still leaves the horse protected from wet, windy weather.

I haven't heard of many endurance people around here clipping in the actual winter, because most endurance horses live outside.  Mostly they just use coolers and blankets post-ride until horsie is dry again.  Polarfleece works well vs. a regular horse blanket because the sweat can go through the cooler.

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses