[RC] LQ do-it-yourselfers! Help please! - Jessica - Part II - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

cont. from Part I:

> Also, I want a shower, I was thinking of installing one of the
> slant wall shower pans and just using my zodi with it for awhile.

I've enjoyed my Zodi, although only on multi-day rides - for one-day
rides I seldom have enough energy to set it up - baby wipes do the
job well enough.

I set mine up in the back of the trailer - have a through-door from the
"living quarters" and a broom with which I sweep the floor clean (ish).

So far I've set mine up way in the back, so the water all runs out under
the back door, but am considering the idea that someone else here
mentioned about standing in a rubbermaid tub. That or some sort of
mesh flooring to stand on, to keep me off the floor out of the puddle?

> Any foreseeable problems if I just picked up one of the portable
> grey water tanks and had a hose that ran from under the shower
> to the tank?

why not just drain it on to the ground? It's only going to be a few gallons -
kind of like emptying a bucket on to the ground? Or run a hose that goes
to a bucket that you can empty later?

The trouble with tanks is that they end up being ripped off when you
go somewhere with rough ground. Better not to have to worry.

 > I have my little porta pottie so I don?t need a toilet.

I also got one of these - resisted for a long time - really didn't want to
deal with emptying one of "those nasty things". But then I got it and love
it - I had no idea. Emptying isn't so bad (kind of like emptying a brief-
case with a spout into the toilet) and the convenience is quite wondrous.

The only advice I can give is to position the porta-potty somewhere
you can hold onto something (like the door jamb) to lower yourself
and raise yourself - your quads will thank you for it after the ride :))))

>  What did everyone use for their ceiling? I see most lq?s have
> a soft looking ceiling, is this just fabric put up over plywood?
> Are there any other wall options besides paneling? I really
> don?t want to get into sheet rocking and painting.

I put up that panelling, but it is too heavy and sags a bit. If I had to
do it again, I'd use the lighterweight sheets of plastic that I used in
the nose of my trailer on the walls.

I have a two-burner Coleman camping stove that sets up quickly
and works great. I looked into refrigerators, but they are pretty
pricey and a pain to set up (have to make sure the trailer's level,
etc), so ice chests work fine.

The only other thing I miss is running water - I find the need to wash
my hands often, so having a tiny sink with running water - even cold -
would be nice.

Here was another addition later on:

July 2007 - New Clothes for the Trailer

My husband dropped by Camping World on his way home and picked me up a table for the trailer and it works perfectly! We also screwed some hook things into the roof of the tack room, so that I could bungee up my little aluminium folding table up out of the way for storage (it doesn't fit in its old location with the new table there).

Table in trailer:
http://www.quacky.co.uk/~elsie/2007/new-table.jpg

Table in trailer (also shows heater on wall - black, cloth covered
thing on left):
http://www.quacky.co.uk/~elsie/2007/new-table2.jpg

Mini table bungeed into the roof of tack room:
http://www.quacky.co.uk/~elsie/2007/table-in-roof.jpg

Since those photos were taken, I bought another of those plastic
drawer sets, so they sit side-by-side under the table and offer tons
of storage for food/cookware, etc.

My suggestion is to do the bare necessities (insulation/heat) to
your trailer, and then see what else you need as you go along -
some things you think you really need you don't, while others
become more desireable.

Oh. One other thing - make sure you insulate under the bed area -
the floor under the gooseneck gets really cold and is no fun to sleep
above.

hths

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA