Re: [RC] The Stall Rested Endurance Horse - Elyse Carreno

Right, I forgot to include her diet. She was getting about two handfuls of concentrated grain twice a day since that's what my other mare was getting, as well as about 5 flakes of hay. I just switched her to a much lower concentrate of grain, so that she can still get it for the mental benefit, but not get so hot from it. I have put two hay nets inside her hay rack so that it takes a lot longer for her to eat her hay so she has less period during the day without hay.

This morning I bought her a Lick-it with the salt insert since she needs access to a salt lick anyway. She went to town with it, and had fun bumping it around and spinning it. I then contrived a toy for her grain. I hung a juice bottle over her feeder and cut a hole in it. In order to get her handful of grain out, she has to bump it with her nose to knock it out. At first she was very wary of eating the grain out of her feeder with the juice bottle touching the top of her head, but soon got the hang of bumping the bottle and eating the dropped bits. It took her about a half hour to eat two handfuls of grain.

Also, I may have made an understatement about her extent of her nuttiness. I would describe her mindset upon leaving the barn as sheer panic. The only mind she pays to me is the fact that I'm still attached to the end of her lead rope. Some days not as bad, some days very bad (seems to depend on the weather too and the noise level around the barn. My barn is on an Army Base and situated by an intersection with heavy equipment going by a lot).
-Elyse