Re: [RC] cleaning leather saddles - Sisu West Ranch

"...damage the stitching and not to use them..."

Claim has been circulating form many years.  Since the thread used to stitch leather is either linen (flax), cotton, or nylon none of which are harmed in the slightest by oils*, I could not figure out the basis of these observations.

One day while reading a story it came to me.  The usual observation is that the boot or saddle, while older, was fine until I put (insert name of oily product) on it, then it fell apart.  I realized that when assembling leather goods, they are glued to hold them in alignment before the stitching.  In the good old days, they used hide glue, which is water soluble but not oil soluble.  I'll bet during that time the story was "my item was fine until I got caught in the rain storm and the stitching rotted".

Armed with my suspicions, I looked at the label on a bottle of glue sold at a leather shop.  Bingo, it was a modern contact adhesive that was not water soluble, but was at least somewhat oil soluble.  The story was now complete.  An old item has the stitches worn weak, but is being held together by the glue.  A liberal application oil and the glue dissolves.

My youngest saddle was purchased in 1990, my oldest I purchased used in 1973 when I bought my first horse.  Both are worn, but working good. I have had to restitch some seams over the years.   Here is what I do:

1. Wash with mild hand soap and water and rinse when very muddy or salt impregnated.  Allow to dry naturally and slowly.
2. Treat with Neat's-foot oil or Neat's-foot compound if feeling cheap.  Allow to soak in for a few days.
3. Work up a good lather with saddle soap, allow to dry and then buff.  On riding boots I have used a boot oil that contains some bee's wax instead of the saddle soap.  (the beeswax in both the saddle soap and the shoe oil stays around better than just the oil)  By the way, shoe oil is great on leather reins, they stay supple and non slip.

Note, I am not giving trade names because I have used various brands over the years with similar results.  I look at the ingredient label.

Ed

*I worked with fibers, mostly synthetic, for 30 years in industry.
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 381-5527