Re: [RC] Trailer Fire at Hahira - Sisu West Ranch

"...Can anybody out there
explain to me the safety features on those things and what it takes for
them to blow etc?..."

All propane tanks are supposed to have pressure relief valves, to vent the gas. This vented gas will produce a tremendous fire. Sometimes, like the tanker fires shown on "Shockwave", the heat is so intense that the tank ruptures because the pressure can not be released fast enough. When this happens you have what the military calls a "fuel-air bomb" and quite a spectacular explosion. It is not unknown for even the best designed mechanical device to malfunction. This is covered by Murphy's Law*

As far as the burnability of trailers. While I am sure things could be done, there are a number of reasons why they go up so much faster than well designed houses.

1. Small space. It heats up to the critical "flash over" point quicker. Note the description of the increase in fire when the door was opened letting more air in. There is a moral there.

2. Higher concentration of flammable stuff inside. Most of us do not have houses as crammed full of burnable stuff as a LQ.
3. Weight restrictions. Fire codes require sheet rock or plaster on all interior walls, and between the house and garage. This is not done in trailers because it would increase the weight to an unacceptable degree.
4. The use of unvented space heaters. I have posted against their use on this site for years. By the way, I believe that I read somewhere in the '70's that the leading cause of home fires and burned kids was the use of unvented space heaters in the southern US.

Lets be safe out there, and only use outside air combustion furnaces to heat our LQ's. If this is not practical, purchase good sleeping bags. We have some that allow us to sleep in tents during winter campouts in MT.

Ed
*"What can go wrong, will go wrong" Murphy ca. 20th century USA. By the way, I am personally convinced that Murphy was an optimist.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 381-5527