[RC] Trailer Fire at Hahira - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Just back from Hahira. Wow. Yeah, the trailer fire this morning was sobering.

I was just packing things up and started to put my fire extinguisher up under
the table, then thought, "No, I should be able to reach that from the door" so
I was turning to put it over there and someone started screaming "Somebody call
911!"  I grabbed my phone and started out the door and saw the smoke, grabbed
my fire extinguisher & took off running.

The fields at Hahira about 3 acre horse pastures separated by board fences. The
trailer was maybe 50 yards from mine through a fence and by the time I got
there one other man was spraying his extinguisher in the door at the flames.
Black smoke and flames were pouring out the door and the entire inside of the
living quarters was completely engulfed. We both emptied our extinguishers, but
it did nothing. People were wanting to unhook the truck but a guy was yelling
that it wasn't worth it because 2 big propane tanks were mounted right beside
the tailgate. There was a boom at one point but I'm not sure what went. You
could hear spewing noises and the flames got HUGE so I'm guessing maybe a gas
relief valve went but there was no explosion with shrapnel or anything.

I called 911, probably one of many who did. The guy was awfully calm (guess
that's his job) He wanted to know if the trailer was near a structure and I
said, "It's hooked to a very expensive truck and there are very expensive
trailers all around it PLEASE HURRY!  I didn't think to tell them to cut the
sirens when they came in but either they were smart or someone did because the
firetrucks entered camp quietly.

Turned out the trailer belonged to Susan Wilson of Florida. Jill Huff was
parked in the gray trailer in the photos (which surely has *some* heat damage).
Jill said she saw smoke coming out of the roof vents and opened the door. The
"My Little Buddy" propane heater was melted in the middle of the floor and the
bedding was already on fire. She wasn't sure which caused what. It was
absolutely amazing to me that the entire trailer just WENT so fast. That thing
would have been a death trap if someone had been in bed when it ignited like
that. I will NEVER leave a lantern or hot plate running with Josie asleep
again. It went through the back of the trailer so fast that they weren't even
able to get the saddles out of the back. I mean, there were people all around,
it was noticed almost immediately and we couldn't even save the saddles out of
the back. That's how fast it happened.

Susan said she was insured which is reassuring...and nobody was hurt...but boy
did it give us all some stuff to think about. For one thing, my little bitty
fire extinguisher is TOO SMALL. As Ike Nelson said, "That's for putting out a
pan fire". I will be more aware of fuel left around. I will make sure I'm
properly insured.

One person said, "That's why I *always* unhook (could have pulled the truck
away). However, if the trailer next to it hadn't been unhooked we could have
pulled it away from danger. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

If you look closely at the photos you'll see the tanks & the truck seemed to be
protected...thicker metal?

i put my photos ups on my my-endurance.net

http://www.my-endurance.net/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=1kwabxdoj45dj

Angie