[RC] Endurance: Qatar style the end (insha allah) - Maggie Mieske

These are my first impressions of endurance riding/racing in Qatar.  I am sure I will have plenty more to add as time goes on.  As much as I would love to bring Malik here, I think there might be issues and consequences I have not considered or that I might not even realize.  Malik could do this and excel.  However, who would I ride in the Shore to Shore every summer?  I have finally discovered where the endurance horses are and it seems there is no shortage, so at this point, I will start searching for a possible endurance mount for myself, either to buy or lease.   I have enough friends to lead the way for me and help me out now.  In the meantime, I need to start getting in shape again…I was dismayed to discover that I do not have the muscling in my arms and legs that I used to have when Malik and I were conditioning and competing regularly.  Duh.  BUT!  I did it before.  I can do it again.

Does anyone know something that rhymes with kilometers?  “Kilometers of smiles” simply doesn’t have the ring that “Miles of smiles” has.

Starting over in Qatar,

Maggie (and Nelson)

Maggie Mieske
Lecturer
English Department/Foundation Program
Qatar University
P.O. Box 2713
Doha, Qatar

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming .... WOW! What a ride!”