[RC] Endurance: Qatar style part one - Maggie Mieske

Endurance:  Qatar style

                Since arriving in Doha, Nelson and I have searched endlessly for the endurance people here.  The horse people we found kept referring us to the local riding club for lessons, which is not what we were interested in doing.  Finally, after 3 months, we made multiple contacts in one weekend which resulted in our attendance at our first Qatar endurance ride yesterday.  It was an experience.  I decided that the best way for me to summarize without pontificating is to simply compare and contrast endurance here with endurance in the U.S.

How is endurance the same here as it is in the U.S.?

1..        The people.  Endurance people are as willing and friendly to help you, answer questions and befriend you as they are in the U.S.  As a result, we made too many friends to count.  We hung out with the farrier (Dormell is Nelson’s new best friend.  He has promised to let Nelson ride along and see what a Qatar farrier’s life is like) and we hung out with one of the treatment vets.  Both of these men were so warm, welcoming and encouraging that I cannot explain how much their new friendship with us means..  We also hung out with Dormell’s friend, George, from Arizona!  See, home is never very far away!  We met the two Avrils, two women from Ireland who discovered endurance later in life as many of us do and are taking the plunge.  Avril #1 rode yesterday and we pit crewed with her husband along one loop.  We also met some of the Al Shaqab Team, the silver medal winners at this year’s World Endurance Championships.  I teased them that I wanted to try out for their team and they thought I should.  They were kind and very funny young men.

2.       The horses.  There is nearly the same hodgepodge of horses here as in the states, all colors, all sizes, but of course, all Arabian or Anglo-Arab (about 20 of the 50+ entered).  Some are quite robust and some are a bit thinner than I’d like to see.  But, they smell and sound like horses to me!  That in itself was a tremendous pleasure!

3.       Beet pulp.  I never saw very much (not in the quantities we use in the U.S.) but I smelled it in a bucket and someone said, oh, yeah, that’s beet pulp.

4.       Family friendly.  I didn’t bring my neighbor with her young son because I wasn’t sure how family friendly the sport might or might not be here.  I saw lots of kids and even a couple of small dogs.  Many of the horses are owned (if not ridden) by sheikhs and their families, so they come out to watch and soak up the atmosphere.  It’s the same kind of atmosphere really.

Maggie Mieske
Lecturer
English Department/Foundation Program
Qatar University
P.O. Box 2713
Doha, Qatar

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”