Re: [RC] Veterans Day - Diane Trefethen

Carla Richardson wrote:
Excuse me? It isn't popular to be one of our nation's soldiers? Please, no politics -- I believe you had a very recent post to that point.
We are the United States of America, to quote a great American. And we all honor our veterans, despite our feelings about any wars, past, current, or future.
Hi Carla,

I do not know how old you are but even people in their 40's or early 50's might not remember the incredible hostility our vets received when they came home, both on leave and after release from the service. They were spat on, really!, cursed, and the wounded ones were taunted with stuff like, "Serves ya right, you should of lost BOTH legs!"

The number of Viet Nam vets who wound up homeless, drunks, into drugs, suicides or just dysfunctional enough to fail to achieve their true potential is much higher than vets from other wars. WWI vets saved Europe, WWII vets saved Europe and the Pacific. They were heroes. When they came home, they were honored for their sacrifices. VN vets were called war criminals, murderers, evil.

If one feels that Viet Nam was a bad war, then in decency one should also acknowledge that the way our soldiers were treated when they returned home was bad too. Worse even because they were mostly draftees, not our current day volunteers, men and women who HAD to go or face prison and who did as best they could in the face of that hell we call war.

No politics? It is all politics. The labels change - war, LD, elections, race vs ride, illegals, FEI - but underneath are the differing opinions that when discussed in the open lead to better understanding of how all of us view our world. If you don't agree, then at the very least, cut Tom some slack for just using the *ANALOGY* of a "veteran" who returns home not a hero.