Re: [RC] Poor Showing at WEC - Truman Prevatt

Maryanne Gabbani wrote:
Oddly enough, after each WEC there has been a similar dialogue about how the US team simply isn't "good enough". In fact, I remember dear Tom Ivers fanning the flames on many such discussions as he LOVED a good heated argument.

Please guys, most of you have never seen industrial endurance in action. I read Meg's email journal and I just shook my head. I think that the US team did brilliantly considering the bad luck and the huge difficulty in organising such a team. There are a number of points that need to be considered and most of them boil down to a difference between family/fun competitive endurance and industrial endurance.
I think "industrial endurance" is a good name for it. In reality the size of the US is an issue but I think by far the biggest one is professionalism. If you have unlimited money and you don't need to work or you are being paid to ride and train endurance you can pursue industrial endurance on a professional basis. We just can't do that in this country at this time - given the model we are using.

3. Attitude, Attitude, Attitude: To Finish is To Win does not cut the cake in the UAE. They are out there to win when they are racing against their cousins in a local race and they are out there to win the rest of the time. In fact, I suspect that how they do against their cousins is often more important than anything else. To really focus efforts the way they do, the US would have to TOTALLY change the way of picking a team and working it year round. I honestly don't think that you all want to go there.
I think that's the only attitude you can take into the WEC. Eventually the FEI will probably move toward stopping the event after the all the metals have been accounted for. That would actually be better for the welfare of the horses - why go the extra miles when there is nothing left to win.

The world is a big place, folks, and doing well in one arena doesn't ensure doing well in another. There was a time when UAE riders would have wiped out at most US rides. I suspect that there are UAE horses and riders who are getting good enough and versatile enough to tackle more technical mountain rides and do well now with horses that can run blisters into some of the US horses. They would, however, have to work out how to train for altitude, which is something that they don't have...maybe some treadmills in some of the C140's with the pressurisation turned off. I didn't expect them to do well in Malaysia if they were riding the way that they usually do, but they are coming up on strategy and versatility. They can buy the best horses worldwide, hire the best trainers, train the devil out of them in ways that most of us simply can't imagine, and ship them where ever they want. They didn't have to acclimatise, like I said, all they had to do was leave the barn doors open and the airconditioning off....they have a ghastly climate.

The UAE and the rest of the world in general is getting better. Their model is better matched to the WEC than the one used by the US because as you note, size of the country and resources.

Back prior to professionals being allowed to compete in the Olympics - the US was operating at somewhat of a disadvantage in that many of the athletics from other countries particularly the Soviet Block nations were supported by their government. It was very rare to see an US athletic compete in international amateur athletics past their college days during that era. Of course that's no longer true. But given professionals can compete the rest of the world is also getting better.

You can bet Lance Armstrong would have not won a single Tour de France if cycling used the same model as the USEF does for endurance. The only way it seems for the US to step up to the plate is to follow something similar the cycling model - that is through sponsorships. Armstrong rode for a team funded by sponsors. That was basically his job. The team worked and rode together on a regular basis. The team had coaching year round. It was a profession - not a hobby. At the upper level there is no longer any amateur sports in the US. If the USEF insists on using the current model it is using for international endurance - I expect it will be a very long time until we see another metal in the US.

It's not our riders or horses in the US - it's our program or should I say lack of one.

Truman

--

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken