RE: [RC] jvm are you serious? - heidi

That balance is precisely what I'm talking about.  It isn't just physical ability that is necessary to our sport (ie biomechanical ability)--it is also physiological ability.  Temperament directly affects physiological ability.  Certainly you have to balance temperament against everything else--but don't fool yourself--a dicey temperament has a direct and negative physiological impact on your horse's performance.  Does training help?  Sure it does, just like conditioning helps.  But can you completely cover for an extremely flighty temperament with training?  No.

Heidi

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [RC] jvm are you serious?
From: Elizabeth Walker <bwalker2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, November 10, 2008 12:38 pm
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Just a totally unsubstantiated opinion here, but I think most folks have to balance the strengths and weaknesses of their particular horse.  Not everyone has the resources to raise, train and/or buy many, many horses and pick out the stellar ones who have the ability to stay calm and focused, yet still have the fire, drive and heart to go 100 miles at a rapid pace, and the physical ability to do so and stay sound.  Just my opinion, but I think that in the balance, top competitors are willing to put up with "temperament" if the horse can perform at the desired level in spite of it.  "Temperament" can be managed.  Lack of physical ability to perform at the needed level cannot.