[RC] Training Issue----Maybe an Answer - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Ranelle,
  This sounds like what my 4 yr. old was doing this summer.  She is young, big, and strong.  Like you, I ride out from the house and ride the farm fields.  She had a buddy horse with her, but she is smart enough that she didn't want to go and work.  SO, she would pitch a spoiled brat fit.  I am getting old enough, that I don't want to get killed, and a rearing horse is NOT my idea of fun.  Give me shying, bucking, anything...but NOT rearing.  Well, She would rear and refuse to go.   After some trial and error, I remembered what someone had posted on RC a long time ago.  To stop a rearing horse, you simply place you hand right in front of the whithers, and apply a small amount of pressure.  Believe it or not, it works   !!!!   If I felt she was getting ready to rear, I did that....she would stop...and then I could get her to move forward.  Once I had her going, it was ok.  She might still try to buck for a few miles, but NO rearing.  She is 4 and half now, and she is WAY better about it.  It is like once they see you can get them to go, they stop being such an ass about.  In fact, she did an LD ride at Skymont one week ago....and she was perfect.  Good luck   !!!

Jody