[RC] Training question - Ranelle Rubin

OK Ridecampers..here is a question that will likely start a new thread. I need some help in managing my gelding's tantrums.

For as long as I have had him, I have had to trailer out to ride. He is 9 going on 10 and I have had him four years. He has a pasture buddy who is his half brother. They are bonded like no other.

Just so you get what I am dealing with: He is "Mellow Fellow" on training rides, easy in every way. He is a bit of a "race brain" at the start of a "race/ride" but manageable with a Myler L2-3 bit with a correctional port..on the bit, in frame.

Now to the problem. I now live where I can ride from the house into the desert. I also haul out to my boyfriend's with both of my horses for the weekend and ride out from there. Yesterday, I came close to getting hurt and that really PI***SES me off! I had both of my boys (I have a 5 yr old half brother of his as well) out at my boyfriend's with me for the weekend and wanted to go for a ride. I saddled him and started to lead him out the gate. He got way excited, started calling back toward his brother (who was doing the same)..and then REARED..BIG! If I had been less aware, I would be typing this from the hospital. He was uncontrollable!

I was ticked. I threw his butt in the trailer, hauled a couple miles away and rode him out from there..he was perfect. We did about 15 miles of sand wash training.

OK, so now what? Do I get on him, and just hope he maintains his sanity or what? I have a bit of courage issue right now..he is one big, solid pack of muscle..I really need to get him to the point where he will leave his brother safely. It was really a tantrum!! It reminded me of a teenage boy.

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx