Re: [RC] WEC - Maryanne Gabbani

I'll check with one of my vet friends there for up to date information, but I remember seeing bales of this amazing green stuff that someone said was timothy at one of the FEI rides. It smelled wonderful and I was told that it was imported from the US.  They may have found other suppliers in the meantime. There is no place to grow feed in the Gulf. The Saudi's may have built some farms for feed, but it isn't a very economical use of the limited arable land in the area.  I didn't have horses in North America so I never knew anything about horse feed before coming here and it's been a steep learning curve.

We use berseem clover and African Love Grass here, the former in the winter and the latter in the summer. The Love Grass isn't terribly popular with the horses when it dries. The  berseem is dried in the last cutting and the horses like it, but land here is in such small parcels in the Nile Valley that no one has big hay fields. I have to rent a few acres to grow my own forage and my grooms go with the donkey and the wagon and they cut it daily fresh for the horses. But they get less fresh than you would give of dry hay, so I supplement it with hay cubes made of berseem and rice straw. That's the more normal feed for this area. Grain here is barley, a bit of corn. Prepared feeds that you might actually want to use are imported from Europe or the US and cost about 5 times the local feed. They import all sorts of  nice feed in the Gulf. Sometimes a bag gets left behind after a ride and it either get pounced on fast by grooms or sold.

Maryanne