[RC] Changing to Moab for a different kind of "heat" now - Melissa Margetts Ms. Kitty

Moab was great and Sheri did a mahvelous job of organizing. Lots of riders for both the 25's and 50's. She had some amazing sponsers, and the completion prize for every one of the riders on the second day was even a grill! The temp was perfect in the desert with just enough cloud cover. The red rock was beautiful.There were some great costumes as the second day was Halloween. MJ was "udderly" cool dressed head to toe as a Jersey cow, with the bell, teats and all. Even the camp dogs were in costume. Candy bags were given out to all of us so "trick-or-treaters" could visit your camp sight if you left your light on. There were huge nightly bonfires too.I pulled into camp in the dark and immediately heard the bray of a mule so started looking all over camp and asking if Noodle was there for the ride. I was hoping we could team up with you two again, Mari Rose. You know how Cabo started to get a likin for them long ears of Noodles at the Big Horn 100. I DID come to the conclusion that the tiny feet that mules and paso finos have, (those double ot and triple ot shoes), just sink deeper into the sand. You need a big ol' snowshoe kinda hoof to make less work of that deep deep sand. The terrain was great and the biggest challenge for us was the sand. There was this very steep slick rock area on 50 miler of the third day, where it was recommended that you get off and hand walk your horse down. When we got to that spot, I thought "Geeze Louise! Ya think?!!" You had to traverse it so you wouldn't slip down the cliff and when we had gotten there, sure enough, some people were smack in the middle of it trying to winch up an atv that had tumbled off and down the rock. So I had to get the horse to step over the winch line and past the various atv's, all with there engines running, while I led him across the slick rock back and forth till we zig-zagged down. There were a few riders who had to wait until the whole process was over and the atv was recovered and had moved on. Gotta love all these different rides with different challenges though. Missed ya there and would have loved to have joined you drinking one of those famous strawberry mudslide thingies of yours out in the desert! That was, unfortunately, our last ride of the season as the snow has moved in, will soon bury the trailer and we won't see bare ground again till May. If you have a chance to get down to do the Moab Canyonlands ride next year, do it and we'll see ya there.
Melissa Margetts