[RC] [Endurance Riding: News] [WEC Reports] Riders give event the thumbsup - Endurance.Net

New Straits Times - Full Article

By Ajitpal Singh - ajitpalsigh@xxxxxxxxxx

THE 12th FEI World Endurance Championships (WEC), which concluded yesterday was an intense competition among the best endurance riders in the world in Lembah Bidong, Setiu.
The race was a success as 48 riders or 38.09 per cent of the 126 participants completed the 160km race, one of the highest completion rate ever to be recorded in this event.

Riders also praised the challenging track conditions.

Spain's Maria Mercedes Alvarez Ponton emerged as the individual champion, becoming the 10th woman in the history of WEC to achieve the feat.

Argentina's Vita Agustin and the United Arab Emirates' (UAE) Sultan Ahmed Sultan Sulayem won the silver and bronze medals, respectively.
Maria's horse - Nobby, was also named the "Best Condition Horse" in the competition.

"I would not have won if not for Nobby's perfect condition during the race. I'm happy that my horse won the award," said Maria at the closing ceremony at the Terengganu International Endurance Park in Setiu yesterday.

More...

--
Posted By Merri to WEC Reports at 11/10/2008 02:19:00 AM

--
Posted By Endurance.Net to Endurance Riding: News at 11/09/2008 05:20:00 PM