Re: [RC] race brain behavior vs. Training? - FXLivestock

In a message dated 11/09/2008 1:58:47 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, margetts@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Like the original poster asked,
though the horses are "conditioned", wouldn't their energy, control and
performance be enhanced and they would do even better if more time was
also spent in "training" and "ground manners?"
What makes you assume that time was not put into training and ground manners? How can you make this assumption without knowing what the particular trainers/riders did to prepare for competition.   I am not defending how the horses behaved at the WEC.  I am not making excuses for this because it is FEI racing.   But,  I don't think this is an issue that is isolated at this level or in this venue.   I personally have seen horses behave in this manner at local AERC rides.  I think some of the scariest starts I have ever participated in were at the Tevis before they put riders in a starting order.  I recall witnessing and avoiding some pretty wild rodeo moments at those starts.  Think about it....the majority of Tevis riders are just there to complete and earn their buckle and there is still can be a chaotic atmosphere at the start.  This is not just about a racing mentality vs a riding mentality and if horses are trained or allowed to "race" in other rides.

Again, from personal experience I have put a huge amount of time into "training" out the race brain mentality in my horse.  After working with him for nine years, the behavior is still part of this horse's make up.  The difference is, I have learned to manage it better.  It isn't just about how many hours you spend training for ground manners vs training for fitness.  A part of this is about suitability and management..

If you choose to continue with a horse like this, it really comes down to management and trying to set up favorable conditions to manage this weakness.  Again, the real question I have with this particular situation we are discussing is whether these horses had a past history of this kind of behavior/recovery at other rides and if they did what strategies were put in place for this ride to lessen the chances of race brain taking over at this big event?  If this is an isolated event because of weather conditions etc., there would probably have been no way for the team to prepare if the horses had never exhibited this behavior in the past.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648