[RC] Misbehaved horses - Bruce Weary

First of all, I congratulate our US riders for reaching deep inside themselves, and striving for greatness in their riding and their horses, and in representing our country in doing do. Thank you all for your efforts, and I hope it was fun and challenging.
As far as the horses misbehaving, I think it's unfortunate, but very understandable. In fact, if I had a group of the world's best behaved horses, who never spooked, ran off, or dumped their rider, or otherwise misbehaved, and someone asked me what kind of scenario it would take to actually cause them to do so, here is what I would say: "First of all ship, them 12,000 miles away from home and anything familiar, transport them in an airplane, and don't bring any stable buddies along. Have strange new people handle them, and expose them to a 12 hour time zone shift to throw off their sleep/waking cycles. Have them go through quarantine on their arrival, and repeated vet inspections throughout their stay. On the day of the race, surround them with television cameras, and fast moving people who aren't horse oriented. Then throw in some lightening, thunder and heavy rains.
Then watch the fireworks.
I would have been very surprised if all the horses HAD behaved under those circumstances, and I applaud any and all riders who had the talent and courage to climb aboard and stay aboard a horse in that frame of mind. I will get off my Arab gelding on a familiar trail near my house if he starts to get racy or misbehave.
These horses are possibly conditioned far more than trained, although that may not be true. I know I condition a hell of a lot more than I train. In addition, they maybe charged up on carb supplements (if they're still using that technology) which can make a horse feel like Godzilla.
Nope, I'm not confused by it at all. And, IMO, for many horses, no amount of training would overcome the horse's connection with his primal fears under those circumstances, and cause him to stand calmly at the finish line.
Bruce Weary