[RC] [USA: Kathy Brunjes] Thursday Vet-in and He is Theatric afterall! - John Teeter

Well, we are ready to go!

All six U.S. horses paraded their stuff and trotted down those lanes on wings - our horses looked terrific, our grooms are excited and we riders are just plain ready to go to work now that we have passed the first test. First let me back up a little and tell you what I forgot to mention about our ride home last night from opening ceremonies....Tom, Deb, Flavia, Val, me with Alfredo driving left the stadium in the mash of cars and vehicles trying to get out of the parking lot. Right in the middle of all this confusion with no police direction (although there were tons of police around), the King and his entourage left the place - with the full police escort, motorcycles, motorcade and flashing lights and sirens. Well, Alfredo puts the 4-way flashers on Val's gold colored Land Rover, and moves into the middle of the motorcade, and like magic we were on the highway rolling away from the stadium. We were laughing and praising Alfredo for his quick thinking when a policeman on a motorcycle pulls up along side us and motions us to move over. Alfredo took a quick turn into the breakdown lane of the highway, and off the motorcade went...I wonder what tipped them off? Maybe the huge CREW stickers all over the windshield and side of the Land Rover? Or maybe all the blondes in the vehicle? or maybe that the Land Rover didn't look like a mercedes or beamers???? ah well - it got us out of the parking lot in record time and back to the hotel way before anyone else was...!!!

so, back to vetting in - we all got to the stables bleary eyed from our late night, but saddled up the horses to take them out on a warm up ride before bathing and getting ready for our call to march down to the vetting area. We had the obligatory trot-outs and our Chef and Vets (Jim and Todd) had their heads together and discussing all of us as we went back to the stables. We were informed that our stable should be ready by 10:00, and it was around 9:00, so we all brushed, washed, toweled and whatnot all of our horses and then changed our clothing to our navy riding tights and USA competition shirts, with our grooms in the USA shirts and most in shorts - we have our spiffy new pinnies on (sp?? I never know if that is penny or pinney - it's a rubberized bib with a number, that's all I can tell you - it might be waterproof, but it's hot as hell to wear) and proceeded to sit and wait for the Steward assigned to our stable to lead us to the vetting area. It's quite a little hike, so we loaded all our tack into the truck to have someone cart it down for us so we could weigh in as we vetted in.

About 10:45 the rush came - and we all left the stables with Canada and Japan - a big procession of very excited horses - this is the time when we all worry a bit about Theatric and whether he'll explode somewhere along the walk (Justin and Steve - you know what I'm talking about!!! Heather and Jeremy - you know too!!!) so we had his bridle on, a chain lead shank and a big sturdy rope and Tom wore gloves. Horses were prancing and walking but all were pretty well behaved until we got to the infield and the vetting area and had to go through the huge fans and misters into the vet lanes. Flame decided to show everyone she can stand on two legs, and Flavia was at the end of the lead....Theatric said, what the heck - it must be what we have to do, and took off with Tom and dragged him through into the vet lanes to the first available vet...and started down the trot out lane before a vet could even look at him! So Tom got him turned around and back to the vet, who was laughing and indicating to leave him turned toward the gate, rather than toward the trot lane. So the vet proceeded to identify Theatric via his passport, then check his pulse, and asked for the trot - just as Flame exploded again beside us in the next lane...well, Theatric took off again, and Tom had to drag him back to start his trot all over - poor Tom said he could barely hold onto him, and Theatric was flying down the lane with his long extended trot and Tom with his short legs just pumping along beside him. He turned at the end of the lane, and flew back to us and sure did look pretty. Later Mercedes Tapia (Argentina) said that the Argentines were watching our trot outs and oohed and ahhed over the huge chestnut and asked "who is that horse?" and Merceds said, "That is Theatric! Isn't he beautiful?" - so we were vetted through and we were lead into the infield where the FEI officials took our passports and riders' cardsand their numbers were put on their butts....Peter, our security for our stable, was drawing the numbers on, and saw Theatric and said, "this is the winning horse, and I give him green for "GO!"" - so I have a huge 122 on his butt in green. The other US horses got red and blue numbers, I have green. Let's hope this is a good thing!

We had photos taken by Steph Teeter and then the grooms led the horses away to go back to the stables, and the riders trudged up to the Secretariats office to weigh in...this has been a worry for some of us, because we have lost so much weight - yesterday when I had a trial weight down, I just barely made the 75 kg - so I used a damp saddle pad, damp girth and damp sponge with my tack, and stood on the scales...73.87 kg.....grrrrrr - so we added half chaps and I was 75 kg - and squeaked in. I will have to make sure that my tack is wet and heavy at the end!After we weighed, and our remaining grooms carried our tack back to the truck, we all had a "formal" photo taken for the records (riders and our crew captains and Chef and vets). I had been interviewed by a Malaysian TV station as I was leaving the weighing area, and asked "why does the US have so many female riders who are so successful?" and "how did the US prepare for the heat and humidity of Malaysia?"

Tom, in the meantime, had his hands full with Theatric on the walk back - I guess he did his airs above the ground right as he went around the corner at the Vet Clinic - just like last year, in the same place as last year - and Tom said he was glad he had the bridle, chain and lead rope to anchor him down. But he is Theatric, afterall - and after that one huge explosion, finished the walk back to stables without incident, although with a bit more spring to his step.

Back at the stables, and everyone congregated in our tack area and drank beer (hey, it was 5:00 somewhere! even if it was only 11:15 in the morning here) and congratulated ourselves on our fine showing. We fed the horses and left for lunch, then had a 1:00 meeting with Becky, Tony, Jim and Todd (riders only) - and most of us riders left shortly after 2:00 to go back to the hotel and rest or shop for last minute food for tomorrow. Our grooms stayed to tend to the horses, walk them again, turn them out for a period this afternoon and attend the 3:00 pm riders' briefing for us. Val, Deb and I left for the Giant store to buy more carrots, apples and stuff like peanut butter and jelly, coke, water, iced tea, Malaysian cheetos and Pringles and Chips Ahoy (you know, the standard ride food) and we were back at the hotel resting by 4:00. I just got off the phone with Tom at the stables, and they will be heading back here in another hour - and we willget take-out for supper and make it an early night. Tomorrow will be a light morning, with a briefing by Becky and Jim at 7:30 then out to the stables to walk the horses and get our crew boxes finished up - I only have my grain and electrolytes left to do tomorrow morning. Val and I will make up our AGL tonight (she bought an electric mixer to make it mix easier) and that will be one more thing out of the way.

Keep you fingers, toes and eyes crossed for us. We are hoping for rain - it is SO dry here - but we know we will do very well even if it stays hot and humid - our horses are ready for this and we have done our homework and you will be so proud in the end. If you don't believe me, just ask Peter our stable security!!!

Kathy

--
Posted By Kathy to USA: Kathy Brunjes at 11/06/2008 05:53:00 PM