[RC] [USA: Kathy Brunjes] 11/06/2008 05:05:00 PM - John Teeter

Hi everyone

opening ceremonies last night - marching into the new open stadium built within the past year - beautiful stadium. Fireworks, flags, Malaysian musicians and dancers - it went on for hours. We riders selected Jan to carry our flag - all female riders were given massive bouquets of flowers to carry (really huge bouquet) - we marched in all six riders with our Chef and Vet (Becky and Jim) - we looked really nice with our white competition shirts and navy pants. We knew we had to be there at 8:00 pm with festivities starting at 8:30, but around 5:30 Becky received a phone call saying that we had to be there by 6:30 because traffic would be bad and parking hard to find (believe it or not, they filled that stadium with people - literally filled to capacity! school children were everywhere) - so we scrambled to get something to eat (nothing opens in the hotel until 6pm, and that's the old restaurant that serves only Malaysian food) and our crews ready,since they had just come from the stables and hadn't even showered. Becky made the decision to have all riders, with Jim and herself, go in one vehicle so we would at least all be together come hell or high water (meaning getting stuck in a traffic jam or lost on the way to the finding the stadium - since we also found out at noon that the only shuttle buses going to the stadium were leaving from the venue, not from the hotels! - so we all piled into the truck - 8 people in one vehicle. Val was on my lap, poor Becky ended up in the back of the truck, somehow both men got the primo seats up front.....I think we should have been on their laps and Becky drive - she's the wild driver in our bunch!

anyway, we get to the stadium - there is no traffic, there is plenty of parking, and we hang around and stand around for an hour and half before others start to arrive and fill up the place. I guess that traffic and parking did become an issue as you got closer to 8pm - but at 6:30, we Americans were first on the spot - hope that is the way the rest of the event will go - first on the spot! Each country was herded into their spots behind our Malaysian escort, and we got to stand another 2 hours while introductions were made, the dancers danced, the music played....then we got to march. Then we got to stand some more in the heat before we were "let go" and we made our way up into the beachers/seating to find our crews and watch the rest of the show. Lorenzo from France with his horses and more music. The fireworks started after 11pm and rocked the place....we left in the middle of the fireworks because we needed to get some sleep - as it was, wedidn't get back until almost midnight and it's now 5:30 am -

very short night with so much to do today.We have our vetting in between 9-12 today - the vet-in is done by stable, and we are stable 5, so we will be later in the morning - but we need to ride for a half hour to warm our horses up and then bathe them and get them spiffed up for the vetting. We have official photos taken around 10 am and we need to pack our crew boxes before tomorrow - we have more photos taken after lunch and we have a meeting with Becky at 1pm, and then more meetings for the crews and our captains (we have a road crew and our vetting crews - each of the riders has a "captain" for our vetting crews) and then another meeting for the riders...we have our pre-ride technical briefing with Zulu and the OC at 3:00pm today, and tonight we have a drive around of one loop with the OC - riders escorted in a vehicle by an OC member - so we can see how they are illuminating the course and what the led lights will look like at turns and on arrows... phew! long day. Then tomorrow wewill try to sleep a little later, and then get our horses exercised and warmed up and our crew boxes taken to the the crewing tents before 2pm - we start at 5:30 tomorrow afternoon.So much went on yesterday I can hardly remember what we did - but we started the morning with a mock vet inspection by Jim and Todd, and then we rode for an hour with our partner (Val and I are riding together, John and Cheryl, Jan and Meg) and a practice road crew check and a practive vet check - getting water on the horses, pulses, saddles off, and then the vet exam (again by Todd and Jim) with trot out - then we saddled back up and rode back to the stables....all that before noon. Then more clipping and fine tuning of our equipment, and some of light riders had to take our saddles up and make sure we will make weight (which we barely do, but Val, Cheryl and I just top the scale at 75 kg - so we will squeak by).

After lunch, Val, Cheryl and I took off for the hotel to try to get a nap in before all the activities, with our grooms staying behind to walk horses again and feed up for the night. Into the toaster we go, and Val needed to go into town to pick up some elastic she had ordered from a fabric shop (to make a belly band) and we drove into the old part of town to get this done. While Val was waiting to get her elastic, Cheryl decided she needed another gift to bring back to the states, and I wanted to buy some carrots - so we headed off into the old market....of course with FLIP FLOPS on our feet - now this is the market of my infamous foray into the fish stalls in flip flops last year...I was really, really careful about where I went to get Tee's carrots - and bought a whole bag full without any incident...until I went looking for Cheryl - who wanted to find the shop I had bought some batik shirts in a few days ago... I went up the stairs, where somekids were playing and didn't watch where I was going and bang! I tripped up two steps (these steps are made for small feet, not big American feet) and the carrots went flying, and I managed to slice off the pad of my left big toe....blood was everywhere - the kids were picking up carrots and I was trying not to think about the bottom of my toe being subjected to all the grime and slime all over the place...arggghhhhh - I found Vonita and Joe (you just never know who you will run into these days!) and Vonita got some tissues for me to staunch the blood...I went hobbling off to find Cheryl, still bleeding, and finally found her in the shop we like a lot in this old market - buying more clothes. She was horrified with my bleeding toe, so rushed me out to get to the car and out of the germs (too late for that) - we got to the Toaster and Val was waiting for us - so we piled in and I drove to the hotel, where Dr. Cheryl cleaned and dressed my foot - I have this big bandage on my toe now. Walking in my riding boots during opening ceremonies was not comfortable - standing for 3 hours on the hard floors didn't feel great either - but hey! we are endurance riders afterall....I might not get to another update until after the race...I will try to let you all know how vetting in went...but in any case - wish us all luck and send good vibes....

Kathy

--
Posted By Kathy to USA: Kathy Brunjes at 11/06/2008 05:05:00 PM