[RC] [Australia] World Endurance Championships - John Teeter

From: Sharon Meyers <montbrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: November 6, 2008 1:07:57 PM GMT+08:00

Thursday: Late Wednesday afternoon Matt and I went out to the beach road section of the Australian team’s training track to capture some of the Aussies there. We were lucky enough to photograph the King of Malaysia riding with Brook and Matthew Sample. Then we headed back to the hotel where we had ten minutes to get ready for the Opening Ceremony.

We travelled out to the venue in a coach supplied for the media. The traffic was heavy as there were thousands of people driving to the stadium. Next thing, out of the blue appeared a policeman on a motorcycle, he stationed himself in front of our bus, put the siren on and spearheaded through the traffic, waving cars off the road as he escorted us to the Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin Stadium.

The stadium was huge and I believe it holds around 30,000 people. I was surprised to find the media were allowed out into the arena, so Matt and I stationed ourselves there. It was amazing watching the stadium fill with thousands of locals.

We were entertained with a band, singers and colourful dancers before the flags of the competing nations were paraded. Immediately after this the nations marched in front of the huge crowd. It was a colourful and memorable spectacle. One of the surprises of the evening was when Lorenzo, the Flying Frenchman appeared with his magnificent white horses. He put on a stunning performance standing on the backs of two of them while driving another four horses in hand. These athletic and brave horses galloped around the centre of the arena jumping several obstacles – certainly a crowd-pleasing spectacle. The evening was capped off with an amazing firework display. The opening ceremony was televised live on RMT1, the Malaysian national station and ESPN. The Malaysians did a sterling job with the opening ceremony and I am sure it will be a memorable event for all who attended.

It took sometime getting back to the hotel and it was about 2am before I went to bed. I was up again at 5.30am to get ready to go out early to the ride base as the Australians were fronting up for their first veterinary inspection at 9.00 am. As I mentioned earlier, the venue is 45 minutes from our hotel.

The Aussie horses looked terrific and it was a huge relief when the entire team vetted through successfully. The horses were then numbered: 19 Derek Armitage – 20 Kristie McGaffin – 21 Brook Sample – 22 Matthew Sample, 23 Penny Toft and 24 Meg Wade.

Later today we are going out to inspect the only area on track that photographers will be allowed to photograph at. There will also be a technical briefing at 3pm local time and a sponsorship presentation tonight.

In my last report I mentioned seeing cats with part of their tails missing, well I have finally found the answer to that little mystery. Apparently these cats are a local breed. For a minute or two I thought they had an encounter with those rumoured crocodiles!

I have forgotten to mention a few things I found of interest here. The cars used to transport officials and crews have a colourful logo of a horse’s head on them (quite Arabian looking) – which brightens them up no end. I don’t think I have ever seen so many black cars at one venue – everything from BMWs through to expensive 4WDs. There are also a few topiary bushes in the shape of rearing horses dotted around the place with two at the entrance to the venue.

Tomorrow the media have a tour of Terrengganu at 9am (maybe I can even have a sleep in!). Looking forward to the tour, as I am keen to learn more about the history and culture of this area of Malaysia. I have enjoyed the Malaysian food on offer at our lunch venue and even tried Keropok, a popular fried snack made of fish meat ground to a paste and mixed with sago. The variety I tried was thin and crispy and I believe it’s called keping.

And of course tomorrow is the big day, the day of the ride. Excitement is mounting. Until tomorrow.

Cheers,
Sharon Meyers