Re: [RC] LOVE Ride whining - Sisu West Ranch

"... cold, wet, and tired. I had trotted into the finish on a sound horse, but by the time I vetted her in, she was unwilling to trot and was lame ..."

My sympathies.  This type of experience is the reason that before the letter of the rules was pointed out, MW vets would allow trot for completion and then pulse and rest of the exam later.

On cold rainy days, the procedure I follow is to slow down a bit while coming in.  Strip tack, blanket, let the horse drink, eat a couple of bites, check pulse.  If down do the completion exam.  If not walk in circles, let snatch a bite and a drink, check pulse etc.  If the horse is down, walk in circles while waiting for the vet.

Another hint:  The rider needs a set of neoprene ice fishing gloves to keep hands warm.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875