[RC] It IS just my Opinion, Richard - oddfarm

Wow. A few of you read way more into my post than I actually wrote.

Richard asks, "Do you really think you're being 'chastised' because other people 'think different'?"

No, because I think different. I was being sarcastic as I mentioned several times. I was not however, bashing anything. I did say international riding does not impress me but I never typed the letters F-E-I. I don't sneer from corners, Richard. I am pretty up front about what I think. I don't think we have to experience everything in life just to have an opinion.

I don't like racing horses 100 miles at sub 9 hour speeds. Do I have to be at the finish line to know I don't like that? Am I ignorant because I think that horses are running to fast on the international scene? (Zakah Zahara ran an 8:22 at the Qatar Challenge in 2007 and was the winning time and the slowest was 10:46. It also appears that all of the US riders were eliminated or retired. It looks like the winning horse ran 2 other races placing 1st and 4th and I can't find anything after that.) I think in 1998, Valerie won a championship in 17 hours and change. That means that international riders have managed to cut off almost 10 hours for 100 miler in less than 10 years. If this is inaccurate, do tell.

I don't like that there are people who are willing to do "research" with their teams of Doctors to see just how much faster than sub 9 hour wins, horses can run for 100 miles. I am all for research to keep horses healthy, but that kind of speed, to ME is not healthy. I can't find the article that was on Endurance.net but I do remember the research was really about getting a horse through the race, not the long term effects, (if there were any) on the horses health. This particular research center was in Dubai I believe.

If you read some of the world stories, more rides are offering prize money and have sponsors such as banks, holding companies, and of course Kings. Do I have to be there to see them hand out checks to know I don't like that? If this is not factual, than set the record strait for me.

I don't like shipping horses for such long periods that they have to be "re-hydrated"  by IV all for the sake of a ride, I mean race. Of COURSE that is sound vet advice. That doesn't make it right. I also don't like that the "goal" of these rides are now to have at least a 40% completion rate. (of course, if they start pulling the "slow" ones off the course they may not see even that high of a percentage of finishers) These are just a few of the things I genuinely object to. If this is not factual enough, I am sure you will correct me.

Richard, please increase my knowledge of endurance racing as you think I should know it. Most of what we all know, we have read on Endurance.net. I am sure some us have received private posts that may tell a different story. I have.

I don't begrudge these riders and as I said before, I wish them and their horses well. As I also said before, it is their CHOICE to race this way and my OPINION is that this is not the endurance riding I like to see for the benefit of the horse.

Richard, if you think the biggest shame about international riding is my "knee jerk" response, then of course we will never see eye to eye.

Lisa Salas, The Oddf aRm
That's all, off to vote.