Re: [RC] The WEC... It IS just my OPINION - Kathy Mayeda

Sheesh.... got up on the wrong side of the bed?  Someone voices an opinion back and we get this tirade....

Anyway, most riders I know that do 100's, do 50's by themselves and do all their own work, no problem.  However when they do 100's it is a lot more difficult to do without crew.  Same people.  Different ride circumstances.  These are people that don't ask for special privileges or even come from priviledged circumstances, but appreciate people helping them out.

I'm particularly proud that Becky Hart was chosen as chef d'equipe.  She's a 3 time World Champion, but she is a very down-to-earth person with a wealth of knowledge to share.  I hope that US does well, but they are indeed in a foreign environment and I'm sure that will take some toll.

Bottom line - they all WORKED HARD to get to this point.  No one just plain handed it to them.  I'm sure that all of our team conditioned and micromanaged their own horses, and they didn't pay a full time staff to do so.  I'm sure that this experience will have lifetime memories for everyone involved.   I don't begrudge the fact that people are out there volunteering to crew and support them when they are competing against the sheikhs with their full time paid staff.  They aren't asking for your sympathy!  That's a stretch of your imagination.

FEI is indeed a different animal than our AERC rides, but it is a choice and it's obvious that you reject that choice.  I don't do FEI myself, but I recognize that it is a long hard haul to compete in it and those who do can be rewarded with being able to compete in exotic places.

Beats sitting at home, watching TV and whining about stuff in my book anyday.   Yep I guess I'm not being the diplomatic one here.  It was an young FEI rider who told me to quit watching TV and I would be much happier.  And you know, it worked!  And that was my own choice in the end, too. (Get it?)

K.