[RC] The WEC... It IS just my OPINION - oddfarm

Oh, my. I didn't think there would be such hypersensitivity to my observations. I did start off with, "we can all relate to that", which should have been a clue. (you know, to the sarcastic tone)

Angie, I am not as impressed with international riding as some are, obviously. So what? Why do I have to "give them a break"? These riders jet to very exotic places, stay for weeks, maybe months at a time, have a staff, do things to their horses the rest of us can't even imagine, and that is all by CHOICE. I don't doubt there is work involved but it is their choice. And before anybody starts typing "sour grapes", I would first have to be envious of this kind of riding to have sour grapes. I'm not. I do believe there are others who don't glorify the international riding scene, and not just me. Why do I get chastised for that just because you think different? I know it is a different "sport". (not really, but that makes a great excuse for all the "differences") I have received some not so nice e-mails from the "international" scene informing me that I can't possibly imagine how different their riding is from "regular domestic" riding. Yes, I can. That's WHY I don't particularly care for it. I'm not an idiot.

I just can't relate. Is it just me? I don't think so. I did say it was interesting reading, though. Steph, there has been far worse written on this forum that you never publicly gave a "diplomatic response" to. (Tom Ivers comes to mind) I was not being mean and hateful. I WAS just voicing my opinion, sarcastic as it was. You don't have to tip-toe around me, I haven't had my feelings hurt since about the 3rd grade. That is about the time I figured out that people said and did things that I shouldn't take personally ;)

I do wish ALL horses and riders a safe ending. I say ending and not finish because I am not sure if they are going to let the slower ones actually finish. I know it has been discussed. THAT would be a big difference between international and domestic ENDURANCE riding that I wouldn't understand.

Lisa Salas, The Oddf aRm
P.S. Maybe reading what a "sacrifice" these riders were making by doing their own "work" just hit me wrong because in the background the TV is blaring about more foreclosures, more bank closings, more job losses and no matter what, higher taxes. (Umm, no, that's not it. I really just don't like the international riding and all of it's "differences".) I don't believe any of us are going to get much of a "break" from that reality. We don't have that choice. That makes it real hard for me to be sympathetic to the international endurance scene.

I think we all know what real sacrifice is. Doing your own chores at the WEC in Malaysia ain't it.