RE: [RC] Bell Cow Boogie Ride in OK - Kristen A Fisher

Shannon - Looks like water will be available, if they have wash racks for horses:

Bell Cow Boogie

November 1, 2008
30 Mile LD/50 mile Endurance

Location:  Bell Cow Lake, Chandler,OK

Start Times:   LD will begin at Dawn.    50 milers will begin approx. 30 minutes later.  (Starting in this order will prevent a log jam at the vet checks.)
NOTE:  The "AERC Event Calendar" erroneously lists the start times as 5:00 and 5:30.  That is WRONG.  Start times will be "Dawn" for LD and 30minutes later for 50s as listed above.

Campground:  Improved campsites with electric and water hookups, available on a first come basis.  Also, plenty of room for primitive camping.  Covered pavilion for meetings.  Bathrooms with flush toilets and showers.  Wash rack for horses.  Please bag all manure and take to the designated pickup location.  All dogs must be on leash or confined.

The campground is not far from the town of Chandler.  Several restaurants, WalMart, feed store.  Golf Course is near the lake.   Nearest equine vet facilities capable of taking care of emergencies or major surgery are located in Edmond (EMA),  Arcadia (Oakridge) and Stillwater (OSU Vet School).

Trails:  There are 2 different loops--both out and back.  Mix of wooded and open.  A few short sections with gravel on the trails as well as 2 short sections of road.   A few places where your horses can drink from the lake. Water tanks will be placed as needed.   UPDATE.  Oct. 20, 2008:  Nearly all of the trails have now been worked on, trimmed and trimmed and trimmed, marked, etc.  LOTS of damage has been repaired and/or re-routed and all trails are now in good condition.

HOOF PROTECTION?  IF your horse is accustomed to being ridden barefoot over any gravel, you should do fine without hoofboots.  There are some small rocks on trail, but those sections are brief.  2 short sections of gravel road.  One section is just a few hundred feet long, but there is no shoulder.  The longer one is about 1/4 mile and you can ride on the grassy shoulder most of that one.