[RC] Leg Protection in Cactus Country - irmurphy

The only sure protection from cactus is to stay out of them!  I've found that boots only make the problem worse and offer a new material for cactus to catch on.  (in fact boots can catch cactus more quickly that the horses legs.)  With that said there are many miles of trail free from cactus in AZ to ride so you'll just have to be observent to any cholla that have been carried onto the trail.

I've also had many experiences where my horses and myself have had the unfortunate experience of getting stuck on cactus.  We even had one baby who sniffed a cholla, it got caught on muzzle, then she tried to rub it off on the hindquarters of the horse I was riding, made for an exciting ride.

If you cactus stuck on you or your horse first move to a cactus free location, this will make removal less of a challenge when the horse jumps.  Second, carry a comb or pliers.  I recommend pliers as the comb is never fine enough for all the different spines you can encounter.  Use a stick or rock to remove if large pieces of cactus get caught on your horse, do not grip the cactus, then remove the remaining stickers.  Finally, if you encountered prickly pear you see finer hair like spines that will stay stuck in you or your horse, these are difficult to see if your horse has his winter coat so look closely, these are whe the pliers make it easier to remove.

Irene Murphy