[RC] competition scratches - sherman

Since iodine, betadine, etc, is actually pretty harsh on the horses’ tissues, using a milder anti-bacterial/fungicide might be more effective in healing the scratches. I don’t know what to recommend, but I’m going to try Oxine on Sonny & Shadow. Sonny has a patch of raised skin on his back that seems like a fungus and Shadow get grungy behind her elbow and on the fronts of her back legs.

I currently use it for soaking hooves to get rid of thrush. It’s very mild, yet effective. I’ve heard stories of it being effective for bad cases of rain rot, too. I’ll let you know what happens, it should only take about a week to see results if it’s going to work.

Kathy

Ok, to take some of the mystery out of Angie's question:

It is MY horses that seem to have the biggest problem.  Angie was just being so politically correct in not saying so.  She watched during the  NC 100, as Cash Pony went from no scratches, to major scratches.  With me washing him with iodine scrub at every VC, putting Desitin on him, and then washing him for the two days AFTER the ride, with the scratches only getting worse.  His gets so bad, that he was standing in a bucket of warm water yesterday (and today) to loosen up the scrabs to clean him up.  It is not just him, but all my horses have gotten them.  I have a 4 yr. old that gets them this time of year, and she isn't being ridden.  She will have spots that break out up on her fetlock joints.  Frankly, I believe it is something in the grass....and unlike Angie...I HAVE grass.  So, to all you vendors out there, send me a sample if you think you have something to stop the super scratches from Hell.  I promise you will have a customer for life if it works.

Jody