Re: [RC] Completion rate by Wt division - Sisu West Ranch

Disclaimer: Do not interpret this post as a distrust of statistics and statistical interpretation of data. Repeat: WHILE I AM NOT AS VERSED IN STATISTICS AS TRUMAN, I USED THEM CONSISTENTLY WHILE EMPLOYED AS A RESEARCH CHEMIST.

What I noticed was that in the real world of manufacturing products even when the usual statistical tests showed significance to a very good degree of certainty it was not unusual to find that over the longer term, the trend reversed if the difference was small. Also, even when the effect was real, but slight the usefulness of the information was also slight.

In this example, it is not particularly useful to know that a heavy weight rider has a small extra chance of being pulled. Even if this caused someone to go on a diet to save his/her horse, there are better reasons to be at optimum weight than sparing your horse.

Does it mean that when picking a jockey* to ride in the WEC you should try to make sure that he/she hit as close to the minimum weight as possible? Of course, DUH! But this is obvious anyway.

Ed

*I use this term deliberately. The way international competition is going, the only way to consistently win is to consider the rider the same way the TB owner considers the jockey he hires.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 381-5527