Re: [RC] Trailer Tying (or not) (was rolling the dice) - Katrina Mosshammer

We have 3 trailers, a 18 ft GN 3hrs slant stock type trailer, my 2hrs GN slant with a rear tack and our GN LQ trailer; no mangers in any of the trailers. Both slant trailers we have taken the dividers out of and almost never use them. We haul loose 95% of the time. The only time we will tie is when we are hauling another person's horse along with ours. Our LQ trailer has no dividers, it is just an 8 ft box stall. We can haul 3 horses in there pretty comfortably, but this year we have usually only had two. All of our horses ride very well and get along very well. They don't move around a lot and shake the trailer. They usually wait until we stop and then will move around. They can turn any direction they want in both the big trailers but not in my little trailer although I have caught my lanky little Egyptian gelding who was loaded in the back of the 2hrs bending around under my mare's neck and end up backwards in the front slot. (I call him Gumby, he makes me think sometimes a horse can be TOO flexible LOL:-) ) Halters always stay on, if it is just a short trip we just loop the lead around the neck, if it is a long trip we take the lead off. The only trailer that any of them have to back out of is my 2hrs and my guys know to stop as soon as their front feet hit the ground, no running out backwards, and then while I have the one standing in the door the other one has usually turned around already and I have their head to clip my lead to. In the big trailers everyone is usually turned around as soon as we stop. Never had any trouble and our guys like it and are never stiff when they come out. Works for us.

Katrina Mosshammer (AERC # 5763) -------------------------------------------------- From: "Elizabeth Walker" <bwalker2@xxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 4:19 PM To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [RC] Trailer Tying (or not) (was rolling the dice)

Snip

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that trailers in a box stall configuration, where the horse has room to move around. Does that cause any problems?